PRO’S & CON’S OF RV LIVING:
(Personal Note: My husband and I live full-time in a 2017, 40-foot 5th wheel.)
Below are pictures of our tiny home on wheels. We have been remodeling the inside a bit so the dark wood is now an off-white. Once finished, I will post an update.
Pros, cons, and things to consider when you’re thinking about living full-time in an RV
- You can live where you want and if you don’t like where you live all you have to do is move the RV. You are not tied down.
- One of the things I like even more than going to different places is the freedom to know that I can go if I want to.
- If you change your mind about the RV lifestyle, you can sell an RV in a matter of weeks instead of the months or years it can take to sell a house.
- If you don’t like your neighbors, you can move to another location in a matter of minutes.
- It literally takes me around 30 minutes to clean the entire house.
- We have less “stuff” because you have nowhere to put or store it. Now when shopping we’re always thinking “crap, where will we put it.” This is a pro for us since we have been spending less and it really makes you realize what you can and can’t live without.
- No yard to take care. We had a pool and yard at our home and it was a PAIN IN THE ASS!
Here are some things that may be considered cons for some people:
- You don’t have as much privacy in campgrounds.
- Sometimes there are noises like barking dogs, RVs pulling in and out, being located next to busy highways, etc.
- When we first purchased the RV, we parked it on a farm. The cons to this is having to hire a company to come out and dump your black tank. You’re on their schedule so it was pretty inconvenient for us. Now that we live in an actual RV park we do not have this issue as you’re hooked up to the park sewer system.
- So yes, it only takes me 30 minutes to clean the RV but I find myself cleaning pretty much every day. Why? Because in such a small space everything turns to clutter and I hate clutter. We also have 4 dogs and one of them sheds enough for all of them.
- Lack of hot water. We have hot water but your showers can only be between 10-15 minutes. Now for some people that isn’t a problem but for me it is. I love to be able to sit down and relax in the shower. Now I don’t even have time to shave and wash my hair at the same time.
- The smells can get pretty gnarly. What I mean by this is you will always know when someone is dumping their black tank! YUCK!
That is all I have for now! Thank you for stopping by friends!